BCCI’s new selection committee announced the squad for the ODI and T20I series against New Zealand as well as the two Test matches against Australia.
Image credit source: BCCI
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)’s new selection committee has made its debut. Chief selector Chetan Sharma was re-elected along with his 4 new teammates Team India The selection was made for the first time for the upcoming series and every time a lot has come out of Team India’s selection, which has grabbed everyone’s attention. On Friday, January 13, the senior selection committee announced the squads for the ODI and T20I series against New Zealand as well as the first two Tests against Australia.
Team India, currently playing an ODI series against Sri Lanka, will play a 3 ODI series against New Zealand from January 18. Then the T20 series between the two teams will start from January 27. Then the four-match Test series between India and Australia will start from February 9. The selectors have announced the team for these three series. Let’s take a look at the major issues of this election-
10 Big Things About Party Elections
- 23-year-old dashing opener Prithvi Shaw returns to Team India after a year and a half. He has been selected for the T20 series. Prithvi last played for India on his T20 debut against Sri Lanka on 25 July 2021.
- Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli have been ruled out of the T20 series again and Team India is led by Hardik Pandya.
- Sanju Samson, who was ruled out of the T20I series against Sri Lanka due to a knee injury, was ruled out of the series against New Zealand. However, BCCI did not say whether he is not fully fit or not.
- KL Rahul and Akshar Patel have been given leave from the ODI and T20 series due to family reasons. KL Rahul’s marriage speculations have been doing the rounds for a long time and this seems to have confirmed them.
- Spinner Shahbaz Ahmed and wicketkeeper KS Bharat have been called up to the ODI squad as Rahul and Akshar were left out. Bharat will be part of the ODI team for the first time.
- Talking about the Test series, Suryakumar Yadav got a place in the squad for the first two Tests. Suryakumar was earlier included at the last minute for the Test series against England in 2021.
- Apart from Surya, young wicket-keeper batsman Ishan Kishan has been called up to the Test team for the first time. Ishan has been included as a wicket keeper. Rishabh Pant’s absence saw him get the chance. KS Bharath is the main wicket keeper of the team.
- Injured all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja, who has been out of Team India since September, has been named in the squad for the first two Tests. However, his game will depend on his passing fitness.
- Fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah was not included in the team for these two Tests. Bumrah was recently given a separate spot in the squad for the ODI series against Sri Lanka but was dropped due to fitness a day before the start of the series.
- On the other hand, Mumbai batsman Sarfraz Khan, who has been in constant rain of runs in domestic cricket, has not got a place in the Test team again. Sarfaraz has been one of the highest run-scorers in the last two Ranji seasons, and he is scoring a lot of runs in this season as well.