Roy McGrath, ex-Maryland governor’s aide, killed in Tenn

The former Maryland Government Larry Hogan’s one-time chief of staff Roy McGrath died after he was captured on Monday in Tennessee. He appeared for three weeks after he failed to appear in Federal court the last month. The information was given by his lawyer. Read the article to witness the entire news.

Roy McGrath

As per the FBI reports, it is confirmed that Roy surrendered to the injuries inflicted earlier that evening. It was said to be a tragic ending because of the uncertainties that occurred in those three weeks. Roy’s wife, Joseph Murtha told CNN in a statement that she thinks it is important to stress this fact because her husband never surrendered his innocence.

Roy’s lawyer, William Brennan also claimed that McGrath died at Tennessee hospital after a confrontation with the FBI. Furthermore, he told that his client was absolutely in a distressed state of mind. But, even after several attempts, his lawyer was not able to provide any additional details as to the circumstances surrounding McGrath’s death.

In a statement, after reviewing the details, the FBI claimed that the gunshot occurred at approximately 6:30 pm on April 3, 2023. Moreover, during the arrest, Roy McGrath sustained injury and was transported to the hospital thereafter. The FBI statement claimed that all the shooting incidents involving researching and tasking were taken by the force members with utmost seriousness. According to the FBI, the shooting incident is under investigation by Inspection Division. The bureau did not provide any additional details on the arrest.

CNN previously reported that for a few months during the summer of 2020, McGrath served as the top aide to Hogan. Its also faced charges related to an alleged scheme to cheat Maryland out of more than $276,000. McGrath was pleaded and found not guilty to all the charges and was released on bond. The above statement was claimed by US Marshals Service, last month.

An arrest warrant was issued for him in March after he failed to appear for his scheduled trial in Baltimore. McGrath was taken to the court by a federal grand jury in October 2021 on charges that he defrauded the Maryland Environment Service, a state-operated organization where he served as executive director before joining Hogan’s office. According to the Justice Department, a sum of $233,647.23 was falsely accused and the Governor himself approved the payment.

The charge also alleged that McGrath directed funds to an art museum for which he was a member of the board of directors so as to avoid paying for a pledge out of his own pocket. During two vacations, a tuition expense of $14,000 was falsified and defrauded by MES.

Initially, McGrath was charged with wire fraud and stealing from an organization receiving more than $10,000 in federal benefits. Also, an indictment was returned in June 2022 and also charged him with falsifying records. On the state level, he faced theft charges and a violation of the state’s wiretap law, said the Justice Department. Lastly, the FBI had offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to McGrath’s arrest.

The rest of the story has been updated on our website with additional developments. Thank you for being a patient reader.

Shreya Gupta

Contract Specialist with 3 years of experience in end-to-end Contract Lifecycle Management for clients with global and domestic operations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button